Kittsee castle: Schloss Kittsee can trace its origins back to the 17th century.The left wing was built in 1625 as working buildings of the old Kittsee castle built in 1300. In 1668 count Johann Listius expanded this construction into a horeshoe shaped single storey castle. Between 1730 and 1740 the castle was given a baroque makeover by Prince Paul Anton Esterhazy, and fitted out with a reception hall and a grand staircase. In 1909 the parking area was converted to include a baroque ornamental pond and the construction of baroque Atlas sculptures from Bratislava was undertaken on the direction of Dr Ladislaus Batthany-Srattmann, the famous eye surgeon. After the Second World War the castle was reduced to a delapidated ruin. The renovation works commenced in 1969, the easternmost castle in Austria serving as a gateway to the East and the South East.
<< 1/2 >>